Sunday, March 14, 2010

Operation Rice Bowl, Third Sunday of Lent



For today's rice bowl, we went to Ethiopia and had some Shiro Wat.

No one in my family, with the exception of me, likes green peas. Eric said that it wasn't as bad as he had expected.

After reading our Operation Rice Bowl prayer. We had dinner.

During dinner, we read the bible story for the third Sunday of Lent:

Luke 17: 11-19

11. Now on his way to Jerusalem, Jesus traveled along the border between Samaria and Galilee.
12. As he was going into a village, ten men who had leprosy met him. They stood at a distance

13. and called out in a loud voice, "Jesus, Master, have pity on us!"

14. When he saw them, he said, "Go, show yourselves to the priests. And as they went, they were cleansed.

15. One of them, when he saw he was healed, came back, praising God in a loud voice.

16. He threw himself at Jesus' feet and thanked him - and he was a Samaritan.

17. Jesus asked, "Were not all ten cleansed? Where are the other nine?

18. Was no one found to return and give praise to God except this foreigner?"

19. Then he said to him, "Rise and go; your faith has made you well."

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I like your Sunday dinner reading-during-Lent tradition. I am interested in trying to incorporate more Lent-type tradition in our family this next year. One thing I've been planning to do but have been in a baby-slump the past few years, is finding a faith book to read during Lent to prepare me for Easter.

By the way, yesterday we visited the in-laws' church because they were speaking and the kids went to Primary. Afterward, g's teacher said she was really great to have in class, knew the stories, and songs, participated, etc. I asked g what story she helped tell, and she started to retell it. The one with the 10 "leprechauns" (we corrected her on that one). She did a great job retelling the story and as she finished up she said that only one came back to say "thank you." "His name was Jack." I said, "I don't think the scriptures tell us what his name was." She said, "I know, but I just want to name him Jack."