Friday, March 5, 2010

Dealing With Mites. . . (or in the pursuit of an allergy-free life)



So, I had allergy testing this Tuesday. Turns out that I'm allergic to a whole buncha stuff including: cats, dogs, mites, ragweed, timothy grass, juniper, and some other weeds and grasses that I cannot remember.

Well, I'm not getting rid of the cat and I still hope to get a dog, so I have started the shots. I got my first shots on Wednesday and definitely noticed an immediate reaction with ear and throat itching as well as a tickley nose. I didn't have any reaction when I went back today (though I'd had Benedryl the night before). I'm on two nasal sprays as well.

But, today's task was starting to address the dust mites. There are a ton of things I'm supposed to do about the mites including: was the mattress pad, pillowcases and sheets weekly in hotter water (130 degrees or hotter), encase bed mattress and box springs in a zippered, allergen-proof cover, and place the mattress pad over the allergen-proof cover, encase pillows in allergen-proof covers, and replace pillows annually. Oh, and vacuum one to two times a week.

Eric is going to love this. For real.

But, I bought a allergen-proof cover for the box-springs ($100). Well, I only bought one today because that was all I was going to spend. I debated forever as to whether to put it on the box springs or the mattress. I decided to go for the box springs because I think I really need them on the mattress and so I'm incentivised to get one for the mattress as well. If it were the other way around, I'd not be in as much a hurry. But, I had to vacuum the bed.

Now, I've got to figure out how I am going to buy 12 pillows and pillow covers. I could buy just four for our bed, but I'd lose track. They would end up on the kids' beds. So, 12. That's a whole lot of cash and a whole lot of annual pillows to go to the landfill (though my mother told me to give them to animal shelters and I think hat's an awesome idea).

But, in the meantime, with all the dust in the air from all the bedding changing, my throat is awfully tight right now.

No comments: