Friday, October 1, 2010

"I have a blessed life,"


I thought to myself as I pulled into the parking lot at the Kansas City Zoo. I'm not rich and I'm not the best runner and I'm not Clarice (Silence of the Lambs) and I'm not prestigious in my field and I have but a couple publications (never as lead author) and I haven't been to all seven continents and I don't have a well-decorated home, but damn if I don't have a blessed life. It might not be the goal for all, but it really works for me. I love this life.

Today, I had the opportunity to chaperone three third grades as part of the third grade field trip to the zoo. I know it seems basic and every day and maybe even an obligation, but I love it. I love that I have the type of job whereby I can take the day to go on the field trip. I love that my daughter wants for me to go. I love that her school takes these kind of field trips. I love that we have a zoo that I love. I love that the weather was the perfect fall day. I love my life. It is blessed.

Lauren and two of the other little girls in her class were in my group. Their class is doing a project on zoo-keeping and needed to go to the zoo to observe what makes a good zoo. So, we walked around, noticing not just the animals, but the exhibits the infrastructure.

The girls like the cheetah exhibit.


We thought the East African Crown Cranes were funny looking.


The gorilla was magnificient (though it takes quite a while to walk to see him and we often do not take the detour when we come to the zoo on our own). But, such a regal animal.




Lauren has been assigned the Zebra for her project, so we observed the zebras and their habitat.


I liked the turtle on the log, which isn't an exhibit, but rather a naturally occurring resident of the lake.


Three cute girlies:



Lauren and I like the open field of kangeroo, but many in her class felt uncomfortable with them not being behind bars.

"How you doin'?"


We observed the zoo's season decorations.


And, we all really like the newest zoo resident: Nikita.



And, I'm not saying that I wasn't tired at the end of the day, but it was a day I wouldn't trade for anything.

I love my daughter, I love her school, I love our neighborhood, I love our community, and I love my life.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Loved this post. I know that I also have a blessed life, but I needed to read that today since we are off to a rocky start to the day. I'm trying to keep it together, but I have some doubts. Wish me luck.

RRM said...

Good luck sister of mine.