Sunday, October 10, 2010

10-10-10 One Day On Earth - A Day In My Life

Challenged by One Day On Earth, I decided to do a Day In My Life on the same day as the project and submit some of the pictures. I did not pick this day. If I were to pick a day, this is not the day I would have picked. You will see why. But, it was picked for me and so this is my life on this day. For better or for worse.

Nine times out of ten, I am the first out of bed. Sandy and I get up around 7:00 so that she can go outside to do her business. Frankly, I'd like to get up earlier and always do my running first thing in the morning, but the reality is that I really like to be in bed. But, today, I knew that I would not have the opportunity later, so I had to get up.



I have a marathon in six days, so I was only scheduled to do an easy six today, but I got up too late and only had time for an four mile tempo.



After I get back, we are so short on time before church, that I jumped in the shower, threw food at my kids, got them dressed, and then we all jumped into the car. Eric grabbed a pair of shoes for Jonathan. When we got to church, I jumped out with the kids while Eric parked the car. It was then that I realized that Jonathan had two left shoes, one of which was a size that no-longer fits. Thankfully, he's pretty easy-going about his shoes.



I hurried the kids up to class. They are spending the next four weeks learning about El Salvador. I should explain that our church is liberal. Saint Andrew Christian Church in Olathe, Kansas, is associated with the Center for Progressive Christianity. The only one in Kansas. We have a twinning relationship with a community in El Salvador.



Eric and I then went to the service. From the balcony, I was able to observe the passing of the peace. Happy people.




And, then we listen to the sermon. Reverend Holly McKissick is our Senior Pastor and she never fails to give a sermon that makes one think.



Singing is generally one of the thin-spaces for me. Thin-spaces are times when the veil between here and God thin and it is easier to feel, see, and experience the divine and spiritual world. I most often experience the thin-spaces in music, communion, and nature. And, sometimes when I run and sometimes in my work.



And, then the children came in and sang to us.



We all like donuts - even the grownups. It is absolutely not the reason why we go to church and it is absolutely not the incentive for the children - we like our church and going is its own reward - but donuts are the icing on the cake.



Looking outside, it is apparent now that the earth has turned from summer to fall, even if we are still having temperatures in the 80s.



But, as soon as we came home, I had to leave my family and park myself in front of my computer. You see, I am back in school. I have decided to earn a Master's in Psychopharmacology. I may have mentioned this before, but several states have pass laws allowing licensed psychologists who subsequently earn a post doctoral master's in psychopharmacology limited prescription privileges. Neither Kansas nor Missouri have passed such laws, but Missouri is discussing doing so. The fastest I'll be able to get through this program is about a year-and-a-half, so I would like to get a head start in the event that either state enacts such laws. In the worst case scenario, I'll be more educated and I'll be better able to communicate about medicatios with my clients' primary care physicians who are prescribing. But, this program requires that I sit in front of my computer for six hours every third Saturday and Sunday.

The amazing thing about this program is that it is using technology that did not exist when I was last in graduate school. We barely had email midway through my program and only started using the internet near the end. Now, my class is held live over the internet. I am sitting in class, in my guest room, listening to a live lecture and having to participate in terms of question asking, responding to quizzes, and letting the professor know when we are not following the information. On one screen I have the video of the professor and on the other I have the slides we are discussing.

Right now, we are studying graduate level biochemistry and my mind is just about full to the top. This is really complex material for me and I need the hourly five minute breaks.



Given that I only have five minutes, I generally fold some laundry (something totally different than listening to biochemistry). It's been great because I've been better able to stay on top of the pile. Today, in addition to folding laundry, I also had a significant client crisis I have been dealing with all weekend that has required regular checking in in order to avoid an involuntary hospitalization (theirs, not mine). Finally, I regularly check in on my friend Brian's progress in the Chicago Marathon.



Midway through the day, we had a one hour lunch break. This is when I feel terribly guilty. I have neglected all four other members of my household for the past day-and-a-half. Eric has had more than his fair share of taking care of the kids and the pets. First, I go down and connect with Eric.

It is Sunday in the fall, so, of course, there is football. And football means football food. Today was take out from Buffalo Wild Wings. I grabbed a few chicken wings and sat down with Eric for a while.



Eric is very busy with work (always), so, given that the Steelers have a by week, he chooses to watch football while working from home.



After I finished eating, I went up to check on the kids. Both were sitting in front of the television. I asked them if they wanted to jump on the trampoline with me, but only Jonathan did. So, we jumped for a while.



Sandy LOVES the trampoline.



Then, I went back in and check on Lauren. Here is where I feel like a bad mom: she was a TV zombie. So, I essentially abandon my family for the weekend every third weekend. I don't like her spending the entire day in front of the TV, but it is a football day, so what are you going to do?

Later in the day, I do hear the kids outside playing with the neighbors and I feel better.



I finished up with my class at 6:00 p.m. (it runs 9-12/1-4 PST). Only then do I remember that one of the families in Jonathan's kindergarten class was hosting a class potluck. So, I scooped up the kids, left Eric to be kid-free, and caught the tail-end of the party.






After we returned home, it was about time to get the kids to bed. We tubbied, put laundry away, told stories, and put them to bed.

So, there you go: a day in my life on 10-10-10.

No comments: