Sunday, November 21, 2010

Joy Is. . . Community




It is nearing the end of November. It should be freezing here by now, but today, as I type, it is 71 degrees. 71 degrees!! In Kansas. At the end of November. I have the kitchen door open and I am hearing the voices of my children play with some of the neighborhood kiddos in our backyard.

Yesterday was equally lovely. A bit cold in the morning, but warmed up in a way that felt like a gift from God.

Eric and I started our day going to the Bar Mitzvah of my mentor and his wife's youngest child. Though I have known them for almost as long as we have lived in Kansas, our relationship has been largely confined to the office. I was honored to have been invited and pleased to go.

After the Bar Mitzvah, we came home and ran a few errands and then just relaxed outdoors while the kids played. First the next door neighbors came over, then came the neighbors across the street. They played so well together and the weather was so delicious that Eric suggested that maybe we have a 'smores night.

And, that is how we found ourselves sitting around the smoker filled with a wood fire out on our back deck last night making 'smores with our neighbors.

The combination of the weather, the beautiful fall coloring, and community made me so grateful for the life that I have.

4 comments:

TulaneMama said...

love it! enjoy these days.

ashley

Heather said...

Oh, I wish we had that weather here. However, the kids are out playing with the neighbors right now anyway, and so I resonate with that part. Did you invite the neighbors for s'mores, too? I like that idea!

RRM said...

We did. We've had the neighbors over for smores three or four times this year. It is easy and relaxed. Oh, and that reminds me, I need your gluten-free graham cracker recipe. Could have used it last night.

Heather said...

Sure, i'll message it to you.