Monday, September 24, 2012

Joy Is. . . . Community (Saint Andrew Christian Church Camping Trip 2012)



Saturday, September 22, after my Equinox Yoga class, the kiddos and I packed up and hit the road for a quick, overnight camping trip with some people from our church (Saint Andrew Christian Church in Olathe, Kansas).  As I am sure I have previously mentioned, I love road trips with my kids.  Also, as I'm sure I've previously mentioned, I've had difficulty finding my tribe here on the Great Plains.  So, it was a double joy weekend: road trip with the kittens AND hanging with community.  





The drive to Smithville Lake was a quick hour.  Once we got there, the kids piled out of the car and ran to the playground to play with friends old and new.


Because I'm rather absent-minded, I totally forgot our camp chairs AND our dry goods (chips, hot dog buns, smore fixings).  But, because I'm really super absent-minded, I figured out the chair situation first.  As soon as I figured that out, I drove into town to buy three camp chairs.  It wasn't until later that I realized about the dry goods and I was not about to drive back into town again.  Thankfully, community stepped in and helped us fill out our meal a bit and the kids still were able to have smores.


As can be seen, we were treated to a gorgeous sunset.  That's another huge joy for me.


Then, it was time for bed.  And, it was cold.  As in in the 40s cold.  I bundled the kids up, we looked out our tent at the moon, and went to sleep.


Waking up, I discovered that we were blanketed in a very heavy layer of fog that made everything seem awfully surreal.  
 

Joy also is delight in nature and all her surprises.  I was surprised to see spider webbing all over the grass when I woke in the morning.  I've never seen anything such as that before.


As is her way, Lauren woke first and sat around the campfire in her Christmas jammies (and slippers).  Ever the girlie girl, she does not own warm camping jammies.


But, the boy was nice and snug in his Papa's green mummy bag that is older than me.


Joy truly is camping with my kiddos.


Joy is making a circle of trust and friends around my children.


And, Joy is watching one's children cooperatively help put the tent away without complaint and with assistance of new friends.


No comments: