Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Work

I wish I could share more about my work. I will. There are ways that I can do so, but I err so far on the side of caution, that I never discuss it.

I am a clinical psychologist and I mostly love what I do, but it is rather solitary in that I share so little about my day. Some days are good days and some days are rough days, but they are almost always interesting days.

Today was a busy day: I ran three miles in the morning, then volunteered for an hour-and-a-half in my daughter's classroom (boy were they noisy today), before I rushed to work. I had a disability evaluation that included an IQ test and a memory test. Those generally take me about three hours not counting write up. I then had a half hour in which to go to the bank, eat, and finish a different psych evaluation. I then had a 2:30, 3:30, 4:30, 5:30, 6:30, and 7:30. While I am never going to complain about being too busy, I am nonetheless thrashed.

As I said, being a psychologist in private practice can be very solitary. I had things happen today that I'd love to discuss with a coworker. Nothing terribly significant or terribly unusual, but, nonetheless, how much of your day do you like to just share/chit chat with others about.

One of these days, I will tell a bit about disability evaluations. They are generally interesting. It is such an interesting position to hear people's stories day in and day out. People have interesting stories to tell and I enjoy learning from them. While the following has nothing to do with today's evaluation, I always know that I am in for an interesting life story when I feel as if I need a diagram to identify the various family relationships as who is siblings with whom and who shares a parent with a sibling. I've got a good memory and when I need a diagram to remember the various family players, you know it is generally not going to have a good ending.

Food for thought.

So, maybe when one already has had three different fathers for their children, it might be time to consider not having any other children with any other men. Just a thought.

No comments: