Friday, February 26, 2010

Giardiniera

I crave this stuff, but the stuff we buy at the store is either too spicy or not spicy enough and both versions are too salty. So, I found a recipe and decided to give it a try.

First, Jonathan and I chopped the veggies:



Then, you have to let it rest overnight in a salt water bath:



The next morning, I drained and rinsed the veggies:




While the veggie drained, I made the dressing:



After the dressing was finished, I mixed it through the veggies and packed the Giardiniera into two quart jars. Note, these are NOT preserved and I could not keep them safely out of the refrigerator. I anticipate that we will go through these two bottles within about two weeks.



And, then, I made myself some eggs and topped it off with some fresh Giardiniera. Yum!



It is supposed to rest for two days to fully allow the flavors to marinate, so I anticipate that my assessment of it today is incomplete, but having tasted it today, I have the following thoughts:

1) it is good, but it is definitely more salad-like than the condiment-like type I have been buying and eating. The good news in this is that you can eat a whole lot more of it as it is less calorie intense.

2) next time, I will increase the amount of carrots I use from 2 small to about 3 large (say from 1/2 cup chopped to closer to at least a full cup chopped). I will likewise increase the celery to the same amount.

3) even with the eight jalapenos, this is not hot to me at all (and I'm not even a heat jock). I'll probably keep the eight jalapenos, but add in maybe two serranos.

4) I will add a second bottle of olives because I like olives.

Finally,

5) I will increase the dressing proportionately by about 50% (so, instead of 1 cup each of olive oil and 1 cup of vinegar, I'll do 1.5 cups of each - likewise increasing the spices as well). Then, I will mix 2/3rds of the dressing with the veggies, but use the remaining dressing to top off each jar to bring the liquid to the top.

But, it is good as it is. I will ABSOLUTELY make this again. I think I like it better than the store-bought stuff primarily as it is a fraction as salty.

I give it two thumbs up. But, the real test will be my husband. I'll have to see what he has to say about it.

No comments: