Friday, December 10, 2010

Yes, you can run in the cold.


This is old. From November 25th. It was 21 degrees with a windchill of 12 and it was my first cold-weather run of the season. I seem to recall that I did five miles (with the dog).

Here's the thing: you have to wear a warm head covering, gloves, and cold-weather socks and the rest is less important. Sure, you should actually wear clothing, but you can get away with far less than you think. For this run, I broke out my wind jacket, long-sleeve shirt, and microfleece basepants. And, it was far too warm.

I went out the next day when it was 34 degrees. I kept the jacket, traded out the long-sleeve or a short-sleeve shirt and wore capris. Still too hot. Several days later, I went out again. 33 degrees. Long-sleeve shirt, no jacket, and capris. Perfect.

Here is the thing: you can do it. Cool/cold weather running can be fantastic running weather. There is something awesome about running outside when it is cold and clear, cold and cloudy, cold and snowy. Actually, cold and snowy can be downright peaceful. And, you get bad-ass points anytime you tell people that you ran outside when it is below freezing.

I often hear people question as to whether it is actually healthy to run when it is in the 20s and below. It is. Not only is it safe to run when it is in the teens, but it is safer to run outside in the teens than it is to run outside in the 80s. For real.

Just dress for the weather. If you walk out the door and feel fine, turn around, go inside, remove a layer of clothing, and go back out. You should be a bit chilly for the first mile, but then you'll feel great. The more you do it, the easier it gets.

That said, I don't like running in the cold AND dark. I can do cold. I can do dark. I cannot do cold and dark. I also dislike running in the cold and strong wind, but I do it anyway. I do, however, know people who love nothing better than running pre-dawn, in the cold and snow.

So, give it a try. Don't give up outdoor running this winter, but rather challenge yourself to get out there and do it regularly. Just remember: hat, gloves, warm socks.

1 comment:

Julie Moon said...

Whew...I'm cold and tired just reading your post. Ha! I let my hubby do the running in our family. But you look cute!