Saturday, August 28, 2010

Joy Is. . . Racing With Your Daughter. AKA Mud and Muck Race Report


About a week ago, I asked my darling daughter how she would feel about running the Mud and Muck run . To my surprise, she said, "YES!"

As it turns out, my husband and my Ashley had been sneakily planning for her to come visit as my birthday present! Woohoo! She surprised me on Thursday evening by coming up the stairs while I was home alone with the kids folding laundry in just a big teeshirt and undies.

So, she was happy to come along and be our personal photographer.

Friday, Ashley and I went to packet pick up. Packet pick up was right by Target, so I had to get Lauren some "running clothes." Yes, "running clothes" knowing full well the purpose of this run was to get muddy. And, mucky.

Saturday morning, we all got up and left the house around 7:45.


Once there, Lauren got pretty nervous. She was scared to be around the people and was anxious about losing me (though I told her that I would be right next to her the whole entire mile we were running). We also lost Eric and Jonathan (who had, apparently, told me that he was walking out to the mud pit).


Time for the start.


Since we were only doing one mile, it didn't take us all that long to get to the mud pit. Lauren fell on the way there and scrapped her hand, but she was able to recover and get back to running.







We finished with a PR of 18:00 (approximately - I wasn't wearing my Garmin ;) ). With my big girlie! I was so very proud of her.

We were so muddy! It was fun, but muddy, so we got clean.

With Ashley!

(all pictures by Ashley with the exception of this one that was by Eric).

5 comments:

Heather said...

Oh, what fun, what fun!

Tia said...

It looks like you guys had a good time...Glad she ran her first race with her mama...

Julie Moon said...

So awesome!! Great pictures Ashley! I bet Lauren remembers that forever.

Shiksa said...

Loved the report and the photos! You two did great.

Sarah said...

Loved that! So much fun. I want to do that even though I don't run. And, did I know that you even had a blog?! What an out-of-touch sister I am. Now, I'm looking forward to checking out your blog.