Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Monday, January 21, 2008

It's Me

In my photojournaling of each day, I would be remiss to exclude a major part of my life. Three days a week, I work as a psychologist. It often feels as if I'm supposed to minimize this part of my life or to downplay my pride at having earned a doctorate. So, I often do and I feel, ultimately, that by doing so, I am being dishonest to myself. I am proud of my degree. It was an enormous amount of work. Sometimes, I feel as if some people in my life think that my life is privileged. It is. But, that discredits the incredible amount of hard work that it has taken me to get here. I struggled far more than people know.

One of the most vivid example of a portion of my struggle was one day being asked by someone who was homeless if I had any money to spare. At that particular moment, I was without telephone, electricity, or gas and was in the process of being evicted, all due to non-payment. I had six dollars to my name. Six dollars. No credit cards and nothing in savings. I had six dollars. I had three cats that needed food, a car that needed gas (and a car payment to two), and a belly. I remember responding to him in my head, "the only difference right now between you and me is that I've not yet been evicted."

I have every right to be proud. And, it is a huge part of me. Even now, years after having earned my Ph.D., I still feel a sense of pride at the accomplishment.

Today was a work day.
Add your comment

No comments: