Tuesday, January 22, 2008

January 22, 2008

My Sick Buddy

Jonathan has been less than well since December 24, but took a definite turn toward sick on Saturday. He's gotten worse with a fever, coughing, and throwing up with coughing.

Eric took yesterday off work in order to stay home with Jonathan, thus enabling me to go to work. Last night, Jonathan slept with me in our big bed and spent much of the night waking and crying and coughing. Clearly, we could not send him to school today either. So, Eric took first shift and I took second.

While it is not a joy that he is ill, I was reminded to be grateful. I took him to the doctor this afternoon. We had to wait for over an hour, which is quite unlike this practice. I finally went to the reception and asked how long it would be as he was miserable waiting and I was not sure it was worth it to wait much longer. I was told that the child right before us was very ill, but that we were next. I explained that I understood, but I needed to know approximately how long it would be as I needed to make a decision in light of needing to be at the bus stop when my daughter arrived home from school. We were quickly ushered into a room.

And, there we waited more.

Then, the ARNP finally came in right as I was about to leave (not in anger, though I was not happy). She apologized and, again, explained that they had a very sick child for whom they had needed to arrange transport.

Jonathan was checked - ear infection and it appears as if one of his ear tubes has fallen out - prescribed medication and sent home.

As the elevator doors opened for us to get on, a child-sized ambulance gurney exited and the reality really hit. Then, we walked out of the building and saw the ambulance for the local children's hospital waiting. And, I choked up.

An ear infection is an annoyance, but I'm so grateful that he is currently home, sleeping in my bed rather than my rushing frantically to the hospital where I will spend the night wondering about concerns far greater than whether I will be able to go to work tomorrow.

No comments: